Monday, April 30, 2012

Yankee ACW Cavalry Project - WIP

It's currently 10:20pm UK time and at midnight over there Build 2 of the Guild Wargamers year long Project is done.

In my last post, I said I would try and get my Yankee cavalry project, a unit of mounted and dismounted 28mm cavalry, finished before this deadline. That ain't going to happen now. I spent a good part of the small hours of this morning and much of my day off cracking on with them, but there is just too much to finish and I don't want to rush the job and compromise the quality. So, I'm downing brushes for the day, and thought I'd show you how far I got.

The almost-finished unit on my table at 22:00hrs UK time today:

Elements of the mounted command group. For some reason, I had already glued some figures to the horses before I started, why I'm not sure. The officer and bugler are Perry, the smaller mounted chap is an ancient RAFM figure I've had for years.

Perry horses waiting for their riders. Much easier to paint them when the rider is separate

"A horse, a horse! Get me a horse! It's bloody uncomforable up here!" Perry riders wait for their horses. Easier to paint the riders this way, too, but it took blooming forver to glue them to these nails. Hope I can get them off now!

A not so great shot of the Foundry dismounts milling about. They are a few days behind their mounted brethern.

Hopefully I can get back to these guys by week's end and declare them finished. I think I've been pushing my luck staying so close to the painting bench, the lawn and garden is in awful shape and Mrs. Padre is now muttering darkly under her breath about hiring a groundskeeper.

Cheers, Mike

14 comments:

  1. Lovely work in progress shots Mike. You are right to not compromise the quality I think.

    Regards Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done! The US Cavalry always looks like it means business. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. I am saying thanks now because your post was sent to my spam box, perhaps because it had the word business in it, and I just found it today.
      Cheers,
      Mike

      Delete
  3. Looks progressing very well indeed. I'm such a slooooow painter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, these fellows look superb. They're so very nearly there, I think you could mark them down as 99% finished! I like them a lot - they'll be fantastic fun on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the work so far, definitely don't rush them you'll only regret it later, I hear talk about t-shirts sir?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran:
      Thanks for the comment and for jogging my memory ref the shirts. I would happily trade you a Canadian Army tshirt of some kind (there are some nice ones at the post exchange here) in return for a Posties Reject tshirt which I wear when I go visit Curt and we start the Canadian Posties chapter. Email me at madpadre@gmail.com and we can sort something out.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work!! These guys are looking really nice so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The miniatures look good. Should I be troubled that your Yankees are getting all of these reinforcements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry too much, Chris. The Yankee cavalry in the Bluffsburg campaign are pretty much crap troops. The dismounted chaps with Sharps carbines are more worrisome, but they are more for late war use. I will use the mounted troops with sabres for one of your scenarios, I think.

      Delete
  8. Great work here, Mike. Those Perry models really look great painted up.
    - Curt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all for your kind comments. While the Guild Build deadlines give me a great incentive to tackle pojects, I felt a great sense of relief in giving myself permission to finish these guys on my own schedule. In fact I celebrated by going outside and doing some yardwork, and discovered a few more outdoors projects. Oh well, life is all about balance, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great looking figures!!!! Nice painting

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers