Tuesday, December 31, 2013

General Petr Godsbodkin Cheers In The New Year

One of my newly completed figures waves his hat to celebrate the new year.   General Petr is one of the first figures to be completed since the Mad Padre's Painting Chapel shifted its location from The Frozen Canadian Prairie to bucolic and temperate Ontario.  He is a Wargames Foundry figure, one of their pack of three Seven Years War staff officers, and he is part of my Resurrected Armies (™) project to return my SYW Russian Army to a reformed and efficient state.   Prior to Clausewitz, one of the arts of command was to wave one's hat vigorously, and I think General Petr has mastered that art.

 

I made a foray out to Credit Valley Railway Store in Mississauga recently and picked up some Noch foliage clusters, seeing as all the cool kids seem to be using them.  I rather like the effect.

I just noticed that the poor horse could use some eyes.   Oh well.  Perhaps a trip back to the painting bench before I hit him with Dullcote and call him finished.

General Godsbokin has two colleagues who will be seen here soon.  Together they will lead the Russian Army to a year of glory in the new year.   It will be a dangerous year, as the Turkish borders are stirring ominously, and the diplomatic corps reports that the Prussians are rattling sabres and threatening to cut off supplies of sausage to the  Czar's court.   I expect too that we will see Godsbodkin again here soon, as he is scheduled to present new colours to the Apcheronski Regiment as soon as he returns from the New Year's holiday at his dacha.

To all my friends and followers of this blog, I wish you a very happy new year, and success at all your various projects.   My own resolutions can be summed up quite briefly: paint more, game more, complain less, keep running, work hard in grad school, be a good husband to Mrs. Padre and a good friend to all.

 

Finally, if you are looking for something to sing while in your cups this New Year's Eve, may I suggest this old English song, which may be sung to the tune of Greensleeves.  As a combination of piety and revelry, it must be Anglican.

 

1. The old year now away is fled,
The new year it is entered;
Then let us all our sins down tread,
    And joyfully all appear.
Let's merry be this holiday,
And let us run with sport and play,
Hang sorrow, let's cast care away
    God send us a merry new year!

2. For Christ's circumcision this day we keep,
Who for our sins did often weep;
His hands and feet were wounded deep,
    And his blessed side, with a spear.
His head they crowned then with thorn,
And at him they did laugh and scorn,
Who for to save our souls was born;
    God send us a happy New Year!

3. And now with New-Year's gifts each friend
Unto each other they do send;
God grant we may our lives amend,
    And that truth may now appear.
Now like the snake cast off your skin
Of evil thoughts and wicked sin,
And to amend this new year begin:
    God send us a merry new year!

4. And now let all the company
In friendly manner all agree,
For we are here welcome all may see
    Unto this jolly good cheer.
I thank my master and my dame,
The which are founders of the same,
To eat, to drink now is no shame:
    God send us a happy new year!

5. Come lads and lasses every one,
Jack, Tom, Dick, Bess, Mary and Joan,
Let's cut the meat unto the bone,
    For welcome you need not fear. 
And here for good liquor you shall not lack,
It will whet my brains and strengthen my back; 
This jolly good cheer it must go to wrack:
    God send us a happy new year!

6. Come, give's more liquor when I do call, 
I'll drink to each one in this hall,
I hope that so loud I must not bawl,
    So unto me lend an ear.
Good fortune to my master send,
And to our dame which is our friend,
Lord bless us all, and so I end:
    God send us a happy new year!

 

5 comments:

  1. Wishing you and Mrs Padre a happy new year! :)

    Lovely figure. For the horse's eyes, just a brown blob does the trick - no white unless you want the horse to look panicked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great figure, Padre! Happy New Year to you and your wife! We'll be doing an Imagi-nations game sometime in the new year and Andy and I will be sure to notify and invite you to London for the occasion. Surely you can command your Archbishop's Own infantry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Padre. The basing is especially effective.

    Your resolutions seem very doable, so much so that I might adopt them myself (With a couple modifications - I'm not in school and my wife may well raise an eyebrow.).

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers