Saturday, October 11, 2014

Men of Gondor

“Men of Gondor” makes me think of a patriotic song in an ancient tongue of Men to the tune of “Men of Harlech”, to be sung from the ramparts of Osgiliath while the hordes of Mordor approach.   But I digress.
I’m on holiday with Madame Padre this week, but have some images on iCloud that I haven’t posted yet.   Here are four figures from GW’s LOTR range.  The middle two are from the “Gondorian Command” blister, and the two identical fellows with bows and swords are the “Beregond” figure, who will make a great captain of archers figure.   One is a prize from my blog competition this spring, which is for Baconfat if he ever wants to tell me how to get it to him.  Since I was painting one Gondorian, I thought I might as well paint the others in my lead pile.


A very simple palette, really.    I used Citadel Chainmail for the armour, then a wash of black ink, then picked out the highlights, edges and embossed tree on the breastplates with Citadel Mithril Silver.  I simply used a dark blue for the cloaks and tunics, with a medium blue dry brush.




 And here’s the sum total of my Gondorian army to date:  the command group, one Beregond figure, and the three figures from the Osgiliiath veterans blister.   I have a whack of plastic Gondorians still to paint, but this is a start.



These figures bring my 2014 totals to:
28mm Mounted: 13, 28mm Foot: 42, 28mm Artillery: 1; 28mm terrain pieces: 9.
20mm Foot: 33, 20mm Artillery: 2, 20mm Vehicles: 2, 20mm Terrain Pieces: 2
15mm Vehicles: 5, 15mm Foot: 26, 15mm Terrain Pieces: 3
6mm Foot:  120, 6mm vehicles: 4, 6mm Terrain Pieces: 2
Kilometres Run: 946

15 comments:

  1. Splendid looking band of brothers!

    Nicely done Mike,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking bunch. But I never liked their headgear which is not your fault of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can certainly see the 'spearpoints gleaming', cracking work Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work on the armour. Is your intention to create a company for War of the Ring or are these for the skirmish game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you chaps. Moiterei, I agree, the PJ armour is not how I would have imagined the Gondorians either, but I can live with it. I sort of imagined them more as late medieval Byzantines myself and I might augment them with some figures from that sort of period.
    Herbert, my hope is to build a small army. I have the War of the Ring rules and haven't tried them yet. I've heard mixed feelings about them. Do you have any thoughts about those rules?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never looked at them - I love the LotR skirmish rules so much that the bigger ones never appealed - I was hoping you could tell me about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Herbert:
      The LOTR skirmish rules, known somewhat oddly as the "LOTR Strategy Game", are very clever. They work fairly well for smallish (20-30 aside) numbers of figures but above that become a little cumbersome. One of the things I really like is the use of Might/Fate/Will that governs Heroes and gives them options to lead/rally troops, reroll bad rolls, have an extra life or two, and use magic. It's a clever system.

      Delete
  7. Very nice I do love the looks they did of the men of Gondor in the movies and you've painted them fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baruk Khazad! Khazad ameinu! ("Axes of the dwarfs! The dwarfs are upon you!") [My favourite battle cry]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work Mike. Shame they'll be slaughtered by orcses as soon as they can cross the river.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good, Mike. I have just finished three Veterans, started on three more last night. I'll put them on the blog when I'm done and we can compare notes on painting them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent job with these men of Gondor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mad Padre,

    Those Gondor shields are difficult to paint for me, but you did them up perfect. The models look terrific.


    Baconfat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all, you're very encouraging.
    Dai, no way the orcses are going to stop these guys.
    Baconfat, I got your email, thanks. One of the Beregonds is on his way to you as soon as I get home from holidays next week.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers