Sunday, January 8, 2017

Meanwhile, in Canada 2 - Moose Meets Mounties

Happy New Year!   I hope 2017 is off to a good start for you, dear reader.

Back in May, I offered a first look at a pulp project I was calling The Rockies Ablaze.   It will involve stout adventurers, occult investigators, mad trappers, werewolves, Nazis and possibly a zeppelin, and will be a tie-in or prequel to my Weird War Two project. It sounds like so much fun if I can get it off the ground.

During my Christmas leave period I finally finished the Pulp Figures minis by two-fisted Canuck sculptor Bob Murch.  This is the look I was going for, and this journal from 1934 is pretty much spot-on for the time period I am thinking of as my setting.




"Pardon me, folks.  Have you seen anything out of the ordinary?  Nazis?  Werewolves? " The second period illustration has the gauntlets that match Bob's figures.




Here's the whole group of finished work, plus four more winter terrain stands.




Bob's mounted and dismounted Sgt. Prestown figure.   His faithful dog sidekick has gone missing somewhere in the lead pile - chased after a Tomb King skeleton figure, no doubt.   I will find him in due course.




I am reasonably happy with the way the scarlet tunics turned out, thanks to the good advice I got in response to my last post on those guys.




Flashheart of the Mounted.  This is "Captain Krustache", Bob's Movember figure from 2015 - donors to the Movember charity got him for free as part of a very kind incentive to donate.  With the blond hair he looks a lot like Rik Mayal.   "Drop that gun now, before I decorate this snow with an interesting colour called Hint of Brain.  Woof!"




Flashheart and his comrades - the other figures are part of Bob's Scarlet Patrol pack.  I like the fact that half of these figures are packing Lee Enfields - it situates them nicely in the pulp era.



Constable Eddy Nelson.  Annoying prone to burst into song at any moment.


Mordechai Moose.  Thanks to Pete Douglas for the suggestion, which I like slightly better than Justin.  Moose are ancient enemies of werewolves, and I suspect that Mordechai will have a role in helping our brave heroes.  I'm treating him as a mounted figure for my own painting totals.


"Men, I have a dangerous assignment, but first I need you to stop singing the lumberjack song."
"Sorry, Sergeant, I have to report back to Fort Calgary for some top level shagging. You know I always get my woman."
"Shut up, Flashheart. You know you're missing part of your uniform."
"Prat."
"What?"
"Hat.  I said hat, sergeant.  .... Git."



Thanks for looking.  In a few days I will offer some exciting previews of where the project goes next.

Blessings to your brushes!

These figures bring my 2017 totals to:
28mm:  Foot Figures: 29;  Mounted Figures: 2



23 comments:

  1. Murch's figures are so characterful and your fine brushwork brings that character out nicely. Well done! I look forward to following your exploits.
    Happy New Year, Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon and the same to you. Can't beat Pulp Figures for pulpy goodness.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely spiffing!
    The scarlet came out brilliantly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I think the advice I got on the tunics came from you, actually. I am hoping these guys will get some exposure at Hot Lead this year. Still working on a scenario and appropriate rules.

      Delete
  3. I have those Mountie figs, too. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine the crazy things those mounties get up to in your games, Pastor!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful start to the year, this is definitely one of my 'must watch' projects for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I hope it meets your high standards for well-executed whimsy. It is a project that give my imagination the biggest thrill at present.

      Delete
  5. Great figures,fun post and really looking forward to seeing it in action. The elk,sorry moose,is my favourite along with Flasheart. In my last school we had a visit from the mounties ( when they were performing at the Edinburgh tattoo) who spoke really interestingly to the children and gave us all badges.I still have ours.Circa 1967 my Grandma visited Canada and brought me home a foot high plastic mountie ornament which had pride of place in my bedroom. Thanks for evoking these memories with your post.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. Mooses are wonderful creatures, my favourite Canadian wild animal. Do you recall if the visitors at the Tattoo brought their horses? If so it was the famed musical ride, which includes a "charge" with lances, quite a spectacle.

      Delete
    2. It was the musical ride I'm pretty sure and my badge is a lance armed Mountie.

      Delete
  6. Great figures,fun post and really looking forward to seeing it in action. The elk,sorry moose,is my favourite along with Flasheart. In my last school we had a visit from the mounties ( when they were performing at the Edinburgh tattoo) who spoke really interestingly to the children and gave us all badges.I still have ours.Circa 1967 my Grandma visited Canada and brought me home a foot high plastic mountie ornament which had pride of place in my bedroom. Thanks for evoking these memories with your post.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great, look like lots of fun, and we all need some fun. I assume you'll delete the spam? I had him post on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. I deleted the crap out of that dude. I've seen him before. What a loser. There's a reason why North American girls hate you, buddy!

      Delete
  8. A lovely team for pulp adventure Padre! :)

    If you get a friend for Mordechai, maybe you could name that one "Chocolat" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnak you, Tamsin. Chocolate Moose - I got it ... eventually. :)

      Delete
  9. I want to see this tale unfold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, so do I! I need to do some storyboarding, I think.

      Delete
  10. Splendid mounties, lovely painting and lovely characterful sculpts.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great. Keen to see their adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent painting and imagination. I look forward to a Sgt Prestown rescues Santa game report next Christmas.

    Pity about the absent companion, perhaps if you leaned over the lead pile and using a stern voice called "Kang (sic), come!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to see you working on this project again! New additions are so fun and very nicely painted at that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful work Padre! These are some lovely figures and your basing sets the scene nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers